Exterior Paint Grant
Statement of Purpose
The Exterior Paint Grant has been established in order to improve the appearance and quality of neighborhoods throughout the City of Emeryville. The Program provides owner-occupied residences, as well as multi-unit properties of four units or less, assistance for exterior paint, clean-up, and improvements.
- For an owner-occupied residence, the applicant shall reside in and hold title to the property to be assisted. For tenant-occupied properties of four units or less, the property owner must verify that the units are occupied by low-income tenants.
- The occupants' household income for both the tenant-occupied and owner-occupied properties must be low income as defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Household incomes include the combined gross income of all persons living in the residence age 18 years or older.
- The property to be assisted can be a single family residence, duplex, triplex, or fourplex. For the paint grant, selection of one body color, two trim colors, and one deck and porch color is included in the grant. Incidental repairs such as minor trim and access door replacement may be considered as part of the paint grant. The work to be performed for the exterior clean-up / improvement grants includes, but is not limited to:
- Minor landscaping
- Driveway repair
- Repair to an existing fence
- Cutting back overgrowth
- Removing all debris that can be a health, safety, and/or zoning issue
- This grant may be used in conjunction with other programs offered by the City.
- For properties that test positive for lead-based paint that is peeling, chalking, or cracking, abatement measures must be taken and completed by a certified lead abatement contractor.
- No employee of the Program or person who exercises any function or responsibility in connection with the policies or administration of the program is eligible for assistance or may have any interest, direct or indirect, in the proceeds of the grant.
An owner shall receive only one Exterior Paint and Exterior Clean-Up / Improvement Grant every five years. Maximum grant amount for single family homes is $15,000. For multi-plex properties of four units or less, the maximum grant amount is $30,000.
The property owner will execute a forgivable promissory note in the amount of the grant to secure that the property will remain as affordable to a low- and moderate-income household. This note will be in effect for three years. Each year of compliance, one-third of the note amount will be forgiven.
Technical assistance provided may include property inspections to determine needed repairs, specification and authorization of repairs, selection of contractor and/or contractors, approval and disbursement of all contractor payments, and inspection of completed repairs.