2023-2031 Housing Element
Overview of Housing Element
The City of Emeryville launched the 6th update to the Housing Element in April 2021. On December 12, 2022 the City Council unanimously adopted the 2023-2031 Housing Element and approved it for submittal to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for certification (landscape and formatted version available here). On February 3, 2023 HCD issued a letter stating that the adopted housing element is in full compliance. The Housing Element describes the needs and conditions of the City, assesses patterns of segregation and disparities and access to opportunities, identifies development sites to accommodate the City's Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) of 1,815 units, and establishes goals, policies, and implementation actions to improve future housing opportunities.
Draft Housing Element Review Schedule
- The Emeryville Public Review Draft of the Housing Element was available for a 30-day public review period, from May 19 to June 18, 2022.
- Public comments received during the 30-day review period were considered and incorporated into a revised draft from June 19 to August 1, 2022. A red-line version of the Revised Draft Housing Element is available here.
- The First Submittal Draft of the 2023-2031 Housing Element was submitted to HCD for review on August 1, 2022. HCD had up to 90 days (October 31, 2022) to provide comments back to the City of Emeryville.
- A Revised Version of the First Submittal Draft of the Housing Element was submitted to HCD on October 19, 2022. All changes to the previous Draft Housing Element are shown in red.
- On October 31, 2022 HCD issued a letter finding the City of Emeryville's Housing Element update to be in substantial compliance with State Housing Element Law.
- The Housing Element Draft Submitted to HCD for Certification on January 20, 2023 went before the Planning Commission on December 8, 2022 for recommendation to City Council, where it was unanimously approved. The City Council unanimously adopted the Housing Element on December 12, 2022. A redline version of the Draft Submitted to HCD for Certification may be accessed by clicking the December 8th Planning Commission meeting link located in the Public Meetings section below.
- On February 3, 2023 HCD issued a letter stating that "the adopted housing element in full compliance with State Housing Element Law (Article 10.6 of the Gov. Code). The adopted element addresses the statutory requirements described in HCD’s October 31, 2022 review."
Below is the schedule of public meetings and topics that took place in the development of the Housing Element. All of the meetings were open to the public. Click on the dates below for meeting materials.
Housing Element Overview
April 7, 2021
June 29, 2021 (Presentation)
October 28, 2021 (Video)
November 16, 2021 (Video)
Accomplishments, Goals, Programs & Policies
July 7, 2021
February 23, 2022 (Video)
Housing Needs Assessment & Assessment of Fair Housing
October 6, 2021
Site Inventory & Strategies for meeting RHNA
December 1, 2021
Housing Constraints & Resources and Opportunities
February 2, 2022
June 1, 2022
|June 7, 2022|
|December 7, 2022|
By April 1 of each year the City must submit an annual report to HCD, that is reviewed and approved by the City Council, demonstrating progress on the Housing Element. A copy of the Annual Reports associated with the 2023-2031 Housing Element will be posted here.
For questions, feedback or concerns regarding the Housing Element, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.