The following are the key components of the proposed ordinance as discussed by the City Council to date:
• Eligible employees include private for profit, private non-profit, and City employees that work at least 2 hours per week in the City of Emeryville
• One-year phase-in period for small businesses (10 or fewer employees) and non-profits
• Exemption only for workers under collective bargaining agreements which expressly waive the provisions of the proposed citywide ordinance.
• Initial minimum hourly wage that mirrors the City’s Living Wage (which currently applies only to City contractors), estimated to be $14.42 per hour on the effective date of the ordinance, and increased thereafter by the local consumer price index (i.e. inflation).
• Maximum of 48 paid sick leave hours accruable for employees of small businesses (10 or less employees within Emeryville) and 72 hours for employees of large businesses.
• An effective date of July 1, 2015.